May 24th, 2012
A highly effective method for evaluating employee performance certainly is the use of 360 degree feedback. It offers employers a far more balanced view of an employee’s performance by considering the perspectives of subordinates, colleagues, and supervisors. Anyone who works directly with the employee and knows her or his work habits and quality can participate in the confidential survey. When all forms are complete the manager or evaluator can meet with the staff member and come up with a plan for improvement or even for promotion to new positions in the future.
The 360 degree survey, the website is here, could very well be approached a couple different ways. The online form could very well be filled out by others or the survey form can be utilized through software downloads.
Advantages of the online survey include:
- Greater confidentiality. When employees fill out surveys regarding co-workers online other people are less likely to see their responses.
- Encouragement of honest evaluation. When employees realize there is no chance others will see responses they are more prone to offer honest assessments of co-workers being evaluated.
- Decrease in paperwork. Not using paper forms is a great approach to show support for an eco-friendly workplace and reinforce values that consider the environment.
- Less expensive than software applications which may require the company to purchase software and hardware updates.
Advantages of software downloads include:
- The capability to share survey forms with other departments in the organization.
- Customizable features. Software downloads often permit customization by item, by competency, or by designing a survey that is designed specifically for the business.
- Software can also work with email for greater convenience in making use of surveys. There’s no need to log in when direct links are supplied in email to individual employees.
- Storage of surveys and progress within an easily accessible database allows organizations to monitor survey processes and also to compare performance ratings over a period of time. This will make staying on top of performance and productivity easier for human resource managers.
No matter which method chosen the 360 degree feedback is a great approach to incorporate various components of employee behavior and performance into annual or periodic evaluations. This can help companies make sound decisions about who to retain and who to let go in the event of a layoff.
Many ways of evaluation are utilized to monitor employee performance. Frequently companies depend on managers to complete such duties. However, managers frequently don’t have much exposure to employees on a regular basis and don’t feel at ease in providing evaluations that are fair and thorough. The 360 degree feedback is a method for managers to gain further insights into the performance of employees from a wider point of view that also includes feedback from everyone who comes in contact with the employee regularly. It provides justification for comments or recommendations placed in employee personnel files.